Lesson Plan Assignment for ITP I

In Brief: We want you to create a lesson plan appropriate for your field, where you will assume an audience of undergraduate students. Your lesson should integrate one or more important concepts in your field with one or more technologies pertinent to those concepts.

Lesson Time: 75 minutes

Assignment Requirements

Goals

Write bullet out 3-6 goals that you have for this lesson. What will students learn?

Assessment

Next to each goal, write out how you will know how successfully students have achieved each goal. One assessment can cover more than one goal! 

Activities

Please write out each of the activities you wish students to engage in, and explain how they meet the goals you have set for the lesson.

Timelime

Please break down your lesson into minutes and write out how much time you will be spending for each activity.

Materials

What special materials, if any, will your students need for this lesson?

Sample Lesson

Teaching Students to Use Hypothes.is for Critical Reading

Goals

• To teach students the basics of how to use the online annotation tool hypothes.is
  • To reinforce critical reading skills
  • To explicitly explain to students how hypothes.is will help with critical reading

Assessment

• I will ask students to perform the following basic tasks: add an annotation, add a tag, add an annotation on an existing annotation. I can easily see on the shared text if students are able to do these tasks, and can work individually with students who need help.
  • We will read and annotate section I of Epictetus’s Enchiridion, not just for practice, but in terms of its content. Based on their annotations, I will be able to assess their critical reading skills in a preliminary way, which will help me shape future discussions around critical reading. As we review students’ annotations as a class, I will explicitly reinforce the idea of how academics hold “conversations” with one another over time and throughout history.

Activities and Timeline

5 Minutes: Attendance, class business, questions from students.

5 minutes: Freewrite: What does the phrase critical reading mean to you?

10 Minutes: PowerPoint presentation on the importance of critical reading, academic inquiry as a conversation that spans history. (Six slides)

15 Minutes: Introduction to Hypothes.is. What the tool does, how shared annotations can help us learn both faster and better, how it’s important to “talk back” to a text as you’re reading, how we can help each other contextualize the text

15 Minutes: We download the tool or set up the bookmarklet app, sign all students up to the ENG 100.5 group I’ve created, and start experimenting with annotation. Students will receive an assignment to add an annotation, add a tag, and add an annotation to someone else’s annotation. Their annotations and tags should be in the service of helping themselves and the class better understand The Enchiridion. That means: 1. asking a question; 2. Expressing an opinion about something Epictetus has written; 3. Providing historical context (by looking something up and providing a link); 4. Defining a word.

15 Minutes: Discussion of students’ annotations, with live notes about how we can be even more helpful to each other. Live editing during the discussion!

5 Minutes: Wrap-up. Homework assignment: Read and annotate sections II-X of The Enchiridion. You must ask at least three questions, make three comments, provide one link of context (history, biography, etc.), and define one word. It’s more than okay to layer answers on top of other people’s answers!

5 Minutes: cushion in case any of the above activities run over.

Materials

Students will not need any materials in addition to ones we’ve already been using for the class (e.g. computer, internet connection, etc.).